Search This Blog

Friday 11 April 2014

Louise Canada Arachnoiditis

Good morning:
If you have had epidurals, spinal taps, myelograms, nerve blocks and surgery, and find yourselves suffering from neuropathic pain, you may very well have ‘arachnoiditis ‘. The symptoms are:
burning, stinging,,aching,gnawing, or with a vice-like quality that can be accompanied by intermittent sharp pains, or pains like electric shocks. Neuropathic pain is characterized by persistent pain hypersensitivity. Other sensory symptoms include tingling and numbness, loss of proprioception (loss of limb up or down) which can result in tripping or falling, water running down ones legs, or insects crawling over the skin.
Arachnoiditis most commonly arises from spinal surgery (especially multiple operations), severe trauma to the spine, myelographic agents, especially the older oil-based dyes, viral and bacterial meningitis, tuberculosis, syphilis, HIV, intrathecal hemorrhage, ischemia of the neural tissues, intraspinal injections of steroids, epidural and spinal anesthesia, multiple lumbar punctures, and blood in the cerebral spinal fluid (CSF)due to subarachnoid hemorrhaging, epidural blood patch or trauma. Many patients are misdiagnosed as having MS, an auto-immune disorder. Arachnoiditis and Ms share similar symptoms, the only difference is Ms is an auto-immune disorder (the body attacking itself) and arachnoiditis is nowadays triggered by trauma, invasive procedures.
If you have an MRI, review the report. Most radiologists, neuro-surgeons, neurologists will ignore the definite showing on the Mri, indicating lesions within the subarachnoid space. The most pristine area of our body yet, used as a highway dump for all kinds of toxic medications. If you need help, pls contact me, I can help reading your MRI as long as the images are clear and usually done with contrast.
Arachnoiditis is incurable. It is an inflammation of the spinal nerves. The dura , one of few membranes that protect the spinal nerves, was damaged, triggering the inflammation. Spinal nerves are meant to be floating freely within the subarachnoid space, moving with our body. Once the inflammation sets in, the spinal nerves thicken, adhere to the dura, and stick together, therefore every movement made, creates pain. The spinal nerves are attached to each other, no longer floating. Many have tethered cord. Scar tissue grows within the space, interfering with the flow of CSF. This liquid is pristine in nature. It constantly flows to the brain and back many times a day, if the individual is healthy. If the patient has arachnoiditis, the scar tissue will interrupt the normal flow, therefore other ailments are created such as degenerative disc disorder, herniated discs, bulging discs. Why? Because the scar tissue is interrupting the CSF to feed the nerves, the discs therefore creating more pathologies.
I have had this disorder for 40 years. It has been quite a roller coster ride, since I did not know why I was in so much pain. In 2004, an Mri detected the arachnoiditis. Thanks to a radiologist who was honest and capable of seeing the signs of it.
Today, I am doing well considering the magnitude of the damages in my spine. I no longer need a wheelchair, I am grateful for this. I no longer need strong opioids and pain killers. I am receiving a treatment called ‘lidocaine infusion’ (not injection). It is administered intravenously on a monthly basis. Some people receive it every 8 weeks, I need this treatment every month. I also take orally ketamine 5mg daily. These two medication are anesthetics. They are non addictive and non invasive. I am back to working part-time. I am functioning normally, doing chores, walking, bicycling, swimming etc. I need to continue to be very careful nevertheless, for most part, I do not need my cane to walk.
I am writing this to you because I want to warn you about the danger of epidurals, and I want to give you the tools to look into your own Mri, and your medical reports and see if you have arachnoiditis. BTW, the majority of doctors will not mention it, will not talk about it. The reason is simple: we are the product of invasive procedures going bad, therefore doctors will hide it until the statute of limitations have expired.
You can reach me through my personal website at:www.arachnoiditiscanada.com